Posted by Doyle Bailey for APHN

The Association for the Preservation of Historic Natchitoches

Melrose , a 200-year old cotton and pecan plantation located on the banks of the lower Cane River in Natchitoches Parish, Louisiana, was once known as the Yucca Plantation.  Tour the Melrose Plantation and see nine historic buildings.

The oldest of these is Yucca House, built between 1796 and 1814. This French Creole cottage served as the first big house for the plantation.

 

Yucca

 

A second building is the African House, which can be dated sometime between 1800 and 1830.  Some speculate that it was built to resemble traditional African homes. Others have concluded that its inspiration comes from French barns.

 

African House

 

The current Big House, which was completed in 1833 employed the use of bousillage (a mixture of mud, Spanish moss and deer hair). The building has been remodeled numerous times and has several additions, including two distinctive hexagonal towers, known as garçoniéres, flanking the front gallery for adolescent boys.

 

Melrose Plantation, 1833

Big House, Melrose Plantation

 

For more information click {here}

or Call (318) 379-0055

(Bus Tours by reservation only)

Advertisements